A Visual Guide to the Manila-Acapulco Galleons
This fascinating yet challenging illustrated reference book tells the hidden and true stories of the Manila–Acapulco galleons, the huge trading ships that connected the Philippines and Asia to the West for over 250 years.
With delightful facts, trivia, and images, the book brings to life the little-known and forgotten epoch of Philippine and world history with questions such as:
- What did a galleon look like?
- How were the galleons built?
- What was life like on board a galleon?
- How did Filipino sailors survive long journeys at sea?
- How did Filipino men and women influence the Mexican cultures and vice versa?
- What role did the Spanish have in influencing global culture?
- What were the good and bad effects of the galleon trade?
- What fabulous treasures have been found under the sea and spur a worldwide hunt for fame and fortune?
- What did women do on the high seas?
- What was it like to be a slave?
- What is the origin of mestizo?
- What was it like to be the first Filipino immigrant in the new world?
Fun activities, such as Word Hunt, Mix and Match, Extreme Exploration, Snakes and Ladders, 4 Pics 1 Home, Find My Home, Perfect Match, Unlock the Code, Plot and Name, and other wacky games will challenge your brain and provide many hours of diversion. All aboard now, mateys and brave and curious explorers!